Storage Insurance Coverage FAQs
Storage Insurance FAQs
- Do I really need insurance for my storage unit?
It is a condition of your storage agreement that you keep the goods in your storage unit insured (see Terms and Conditions). You may arrange insurance on your own or alternatively you can take out insurance through National Storage.
- Is insurance covered in my hire costs?
No, this is an additional service we offer to ensure your goods are covered above and beyond. However, for some products (such as our premium wine storage), insurance is included. The National Storage staff member you speak with will inform you if this is the case.
- How much will storage insurance cost me?
This depends largely on the number and value of things you are storing, so we cannot suggest a number without knowing these details.
As a guide, click here to view our rate card.
- What's covered?
The Storers PDS covers a wide range of events, including:
- Malicious or accidental damage
- Theft via forcible entry
It’s important to be aware of things that aren’t covered by your policy as well.
This cover is NOT suitable for
Customers who are:
- seeking cover for goods located outside the locked storage unit;
- being transported either to or from the storage unit or any other location;
- seeking cover for individual items valued in excess of $1,000;
- seeking cover for goods valued over $100,000;
- seeking cover for:
- currency, deeds, securities, money, notes, jewellery, watches, precious stones, gold, precious metals, furs or garments trimmed with fur;
- motor vehicles and motor cycles, whether they’re registered or not;
- boats or watercraft or aircraft;
- any highly flammable or hazardous goods;
- tobacco or cigarettes;
- tyres in bulk;
- perishables; or
- alcohol, wine or beer.
- What's not covered - exclusions?
The Storer’s Risk Insurance Benefits will not cover:
1. The first $250 of each and every claim. You must bear this amount yourself.
2. Any unexplained or inventory shortage or disappearance.
3. Loss or damage due to incorrect packing or stacking of storage.
4. Currency, deeds, securities, money, notes, jewellery, watches, precious stones, gold, precious
metals, furs or garments trimmed with fur.
5. Motor vehicles and motor cycles, whether they’re registered or not.
6. Boats or watercraft or aircraft.
7. Any flammable liquid, gas or oil such as petrol, kerosene, LPG, aerosols, diesel fuel or engine oil, any corrosive chemicals or nitrates such as chlorine, sulphuric acid or fertiliser.
8. Tobacco or cigarettes.
10. Tyres in bulk.
12. Alcohol, wine or beer.
13. Loss or damage to your goods which is caused by its own: wear, tear, rust, corrosion or deterioration; or
mechanical breakdown, electrical breakdown, fault, inherent defect, omission or design.
14. Loss or damage directly resulting from vermin, insects, mould, mildew, dampness, excess moisture,
spontaneous combustion, atmospheric or climatic conditions (other than storms).
15. Loss or damage where the property is in transit or where it is not locked in a storage unit at our
16. Loss or damage directly resulting from detention, confiscation, destruction or requisition by customs or other authorities.
17. Loss or damage occasioned by or happening through fraudulent or dishonest acts, fraudulent misappropriation, embezzlement or forgery by you or your agents, kidnapping, threats, hoaxes, extortion or any attempted threat.
18. Loss or damage caused by any consequence of war, invasions, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority.
19. Loss or damage or in the incurring of a liability caused by or arising from radioactivity or the use, existence or escape of any nuclear fuel, nuclear waste, or nuclear material.
20. Consequential loss or legal liability of any kind.
21. Flood, which means the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of:
a) any lake, or any river, creek or other natural watercourse, whether or not altered or modified; or
b) any reservoir, canal, or dam.
22. Loss or damage caused by subsidence, landslip, erosion or earth movement (other than earthquake).
23. Terrorism, which means any act, or preparation in respect of action, or threat of action designed to influence the government de jure or de facto of any nation or any political division thereof, or in pursuit of political, religious, ideological or similar purposes to intimidate the public or a section of the public of any nation by any person or group(s) of persons whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organisation(s) or government(s) de jure or de facto, and which:
a) involves violence against one or more persons; or
b) involves damage to property; or
c) endangers life other than that of the person committing the action; or
d) creates a risk to health or safety of the public or a section of the public; or
e) is designed to interfere with or to disrupt an electronic system.
24. Any loss or damage, cost or expense of any nature directly or indirectly caused by, contributed to by, resulting from arising out of or in connection with any action taken in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any way relating to terrorism is also excluded from the Storer’s Risk Insurance Benefits.
- Does my insurance cover Flood?
The Storer’s Risk Insurance Benefits will not cover flood, which means the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of:
a) Any lake, or any river, creek or other natural watercourse, whether or not altered or modified.
b. Any reservoir, canal, or dam.
Please refer to Exclusions within the Storers PDS.
- Can the Limits, Exclusions, Terms and Conditions within the Storers PDS be amended in any way?
No, Limits, Exclusions, Terms and Conditions within the Storers PDS have been set by our Insurance provider and confirmed by the insurer Starr International (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
- Is the Storers PDS specific to individual storers needs?
No, it’s up to the Storer to read and understand the information contained within the Storers PDS to see if it is suitable to each individual’s needs.
- Do I have to get my insurance from you?
While getting insurance as part of your unit hire is incredibly convenient, we understand you may prefer to take out contents insurance from a provider of your choice. That’s totally fine! As long as you’re happy with your storage arrangements, we’re happy too.
We definitely advise to discuss with your insurer if your goods are covered while in storage. If not, you can look at our insurance rates card and decide when you’re ready to move in!